GATE 2020 Application Form has been released now. GATE Exam is conducted for admission to the postgraduate courses (master’s & doctoral) in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Science. It is a national level examination. This exam is conducted by the IISC, Bangalore & seven IITs jointly. This year, GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is managed by the IIT, Delhi. GATE Score is also used by some PSUs for their requirements and by several universities in India & abroad for admission. In this article, we are providing complete information about GATE 2020 including application form, eligibility, exam date, pattern, syllabus, etc.
GATE 2020 Latest Updates – Application Released
GATE 2020 Application Form has been released now. Click here to fill the application form.
GATE 2020 Important Dates
Applicants can check this section to know about official GATE Exam Dates 2020.
|Application Portal Open||3rd September 2019|
|Closing Date for Submission of Online Application||24th September 2019|
|Extended Closing Date for Submission of Online Application||1st October 2019|
|Application Correction Window Opens||November 2019|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City (an additional fee will be applicable)||15th November 2019|
|Mock Test Availability||November 2019|
|Availability of Admit Card||3rd January 2020|
|GATE 2019 Exam Dates||1st February, 2nd February, 8th February & 9th February 2020|
|Candidate Response & Answer Key Release||February 2020|
|Result Declaration||16th March 2020|
|Score Card Announcement||20th March 2020 to 31st May 2020|
|Counselling Starts||April 2020|
GATE Eligibility Criteria 2020
Before applying for GATE entrance exam, applicants should check the eligibility details. The complete GATE eligibility 2020 are given below:
- Indian & Foreign Nationals are eligible to apply.
- There are no age limit criteria to apply for GATE examination.
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Examination||Description of Eligible Candidate||Qualifying Year not later than|
|BE/B.Tech/B.Pharm||Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology)||Currently in the final year or already completed||2020|
|B.Arch||Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (5 years course)/Naval Architecture (4 years course)/Planning (4 years course)||Currently in the final year or already completed||2020|
|B.Sc (Research)/BS||Bachelor’s degree in Science
(Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)
|Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2020|
|Pharm.D (After 12th)||6 years program, consisting of internship or residency training during sixth year||Currently in the 4th/5th/6th year or already completed||2022|
|MBBS||Four and half (4.5) years program||7th, 8th, 9th or already completed||2020|
|M.Sc/ MA/MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed||2020|
|Integrated ME/M.Tech (Post-B.Sc)||Post-B.Sc. Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/Technology (4 years program)||Currently in the 2nd/ 3rd/4th year or already completed||2022|
|Integrated M.E/ M.Tech. or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/ Technology (5 years program)||Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed||2021|
|Integrated M.Sc/Integrated BS-MS||Integrated M.Sc. or 5 years integrated
|Currently in the final year or already completed||2020|
|Professional Society Examinations* (equivalent to BE/B.Tech/B.Arch)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers- India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India and so on)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA|
GATE 2020 Application Form
Click here to check GATE 2020 Information Bulletin.
- All the applicants can apply for GATE 2020 registration through online mode only.
- GATE application form 2020 is available from 3rd September 2019.
- The last date to fill & submit the application will be 24th September 2019.
- Keep ready with following documents while GATE registration 2020:
- Scanned Passport Size Photograph (3.5 cm Width × 4.5 cm Height) (Maximum: 480×640 in pixels, Minimum: 240×320 pixels) in a JPEG format.
- Scanned Signature (2 cm × 7 cm) (Maximum: 160×560 in pixels, Minimum: 80×280 in pixels) in a JPEG format.
- Scanned copy of the Eligibility Certificate in pdf format.
- Scanned copy of Category (SC/ST) certificate/PwD Certificate/ Dyslexic Certificate (if applicable) in pdf format.
- Applicants have to specify any one of the ID proof while form filling, i.e. Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, College ID, Employee ID, Aadhaar Card or Driving License.
- At the time of application filling, applicants have to select three examination centers.
- The entire procedure is online. So, there will be no need to send any hard copy of filled GATE application 2020/documents through offline mode.
Applicants can deposit the fee through online mode by using either net banking or debit card or credit card. The application fee details are given here:
|For Examination Centres in India||On or Before 24th September 2019||During the Extended Period|
|Female candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|SC/ST/PwD* category candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
|For Examination Centres outside India (All Candidates)|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
List of Examination Centers
In the given table, applicants have an option to choose THREE cities from the list of examination centers.
|List of Examination Cities/Towns (subject to minor changes)|
|Ananthapuramu, Angamaly, Bagalkot, Belagavi (Belgaum), Ballari (Bellary), Bengaluru South, Bengaluru North, Bidar, Chikkamagaluru, Davanagere, Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Hassan, Hubballi (Hubli), Hyderabad, Kannur, Kasaragod, Kolar, Kozhikode, Kurnool, Malappuram, Mangaluru, Manipal, Mysuru (Mysore), Palakkad, Payyanur, Port Blair, Shivamogga (Shimoga), Thrissur, Tumakuru, Vatakara.|
|Ahmedabad, Ahmednagar, Amravati, Anand, Aurangabad, Baramati, Bhavnagar, Bhuj, Gandhinagar, Goa, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mehsana, Mumbai-Navi Mumbai-Thane, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Pune, Rajkot, Ratnagiri, Sangli, Satara, Solapur, Surat, Vadodara.|
|Ajmer, Alwar, Bikaner, Faridabad-Palwal, Greater NOIDA, Gurugram, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu-Samba, Jodhpur, Kota, Mathura, New Delhi, Rohtak, Srinagar, Sikar, Sonepat, Udaipur, Ujjain|
|Agartala, Aizawl, Asansol-Durgapur, Bokaro Steel City, Burdwan, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Dimapur, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Itanagar, Jorhat, Kalyani, Muzaffarpur, Patna, Purnea, Shillong, Silchar, Siliguri, Tezpur.|
|Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Gorakhpur, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi.|
|Balasore, Berhampur (Odisha), Bhilai, Bhubaneswar, Bilaspur (CG),Cuttack, Eluru, Hooghly (WB), Jamshedpur, Kakinada (AP), Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Rajamahendravaram (Rajahmundry), Ranchi, Rourkela, Sambalpur, Srikaulam, Vizianagaram, Tadepalligudem, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam.|
|Alappuzha, Aluva-Ernakulam, Attingal, Chengannur, Chennai South, Chennai West, Chirala, Chittoor, Coimbatore, Cuddalore, Dindigul, Gudur, Guntur, Kadapa, Kanjirapally, Kanyakumari-Nagercoil, Karimnagar, Khammam, Kodad, Kollam, Kothamangalam, Kottayam, Idukki, Madurai, Muvattupuzha, Namakkal, Nellore, Ongole, Pala, Puducherry, Salem, Thanjavur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thoothukudi, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati, Vellore, Villupuram, Virudhunagar, Warangal.|
|Ambala, Amritsar, Bathinda, Dehradun, Ghaziabad, Haldwani, Hamirpur-Una (HP), Jalandhar, Karnal, Kurukshetra, Ludhiana, Meerut, Mohali-Chandigarh, Moradabad, NOIDA, Panipat, Pathankot, Patiala-Sangrur, Roorkee, Shimla-Solan, Yamunanagar.|
|Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Dubai (UAE), Kathmandu (Nepal), Singapore.|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: Can I fill multiple applications from one email ID?
Answer: No, you can fill only one application from one email ID.
Question: Why I have to choose three GATE examination centers?
Answer: Most likely, applicants will get an exam city center of his/her first choice. Only in cases, where so many applicants opt for a certain city center as their first choice, the other two choices become relevant.
Question: During application submission process, if the power/internet connection failed. What do I do?
Answer: Please login to the GOAPS website again & continue the application process.
Question: My net banking account has been debited more than once. How do I get the money back?
Answer: Any unaccounted or excess money that was received on behalf of GATE 2020 from this account will automatically be returned (credited) to the same bank account. However, this may take a week or more, after the closure of the application process.
Question: Do I have to send the print-out of the application form?
Question: How will I know the status of my application?
Answer: You can check the status of the application through login.
Question: If I upload the photograph with wrong specifications, will my application be rejected?
Answer: Yes, the application will be rejected.
For more FAQs regarding GATE 2020 Check Here.
GATE Exam Pattern 2020
In this section, applicants can get details about GATE 2020 Exam Pattern:
- Exam Mode: The examination will be organized through online mode (Computer Based Test).
- Shifts: The examination will be held on 1st, 2nd, 8th & 9th February 2020 in two shifts, i.e. Forenoon (9:30 AM to 12:30 PM) & Afternoon (2:30 PM to 5:30 PM).
- Papers: The examination will be conducted for 25 papers.
- Applicants can allow appearing in only ONE paper in any one session.
- Duration: The exam duration will be three hours.
- Number of Questions: In the examination, total 65 questions will be asked.
- Type of Questions: The questions will be Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) & Numerical Answer Type (NAT).
- Marks: The question paper will be of 100 marks.
- Marking Scheme: For correct answer, 1 or 2 marks will be allotted to the applicants.
- Negative Marking: For 1 mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Likewise, for 2 mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. For NAT, there will be no negative marking.
|Papers||Number of Questions||Total Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|General Aptitude (GA)||5 questions (1 mark each) and 5 questions (2 marks each)||10||15|
|Question Papers other than GG, XE and XL||25 questions (1 mark each) and 30 questions (2 marks each (Both the MCQ and NAT Questions)||55||85|
|GG (Geology and Geophysics)||PART A (Compulsory)||PART B||55||85|
|Section 1 (Geology)||Section 2 (Geophysics)|
|25 questions (1 mark each) (Some of these may be numerical answer type questions)||30 questions (2 marks each) (Some of these may be numerical answer type questions)|
|XE Paper (Engineering Sciences)||GA (General Aptitude) (15 marks)||Section A (Engineering Mathematics) (Compulsory)||Sections B to H (Any two of XE)||55||85|
|7 questions (1 mark each) and 4 questions (2 marks each) (Some questions may be of numerical answer type)||9 questions (1 mark each) and 13 questions (2 marks each) (Some questions may be of numerical answer type)|
|XL Paper (Life Sciences)||GA (General Aptitude) (15 marks)||Section P (Chemistry) (Compulsory)||Sections Q to U (Any two of XL)||55||85|
|5 questions (1 mark each) and 10 questions (2 marks each) (Some questions may be of numerical answer type)||10 questions (1 mark each) and 10 questions (2 marks each) (Some questions may be of numerical answer type)|
List of GATE 2020 Papers and Corresponding Codes:
|GATE Paper||Codes||GATE Paper||Codes|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Bio-Medical Engineering||BM||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Engineering Sciences||XE*|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Life Sciences||XL**|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|*XE Paper Sections||Code||**XL Paper Sections||Code|
|Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory)||A||Chemistry (Compulsory)||P|
|Any two optional sections||Any two optional sections|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F||Food Technology||U|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
Click here to check GATE Previous Years Question Papers & Answer Keys.
GATE 2020 Syllabus
The GATE Syllabus 2020 is prescribed by the exam conducting authority. It release syllabus for all the subjects separately. Applicants can check syllabus for each of the papers by clicking on the papers (subject) below:
GATE 2020 Admit Card
- Applicants can download GATE 2020 hall ticket through online mode only.
- There will be no facility to send the admit card by post/email to the applicants.
- GATE Admit Card 2020 will be issued from 3rd January 2019.
- On the exam day, applicants should bring original ID proof along with the admit card:
- PAN Card
- Voter ID
- College ID
- Employee ID
- Driving License
- The admit card is valid only if the applicants photograph & signature images are clear & legible.
GATE 2020 Answer Key
- After a few days of the examination, the authority will release candidate’s responses through online mode.
- GATE Answer Key 2020 will be displayed on the website for various papers & subjects.
- Applicants can check answer key in the month of February 2020.
- Applicants can submit their contests on the answer keys given for a very limited time period against a payment.
GATE Result 2020
- Applicants will check the result on 16th March 2020.
- GATE 2020 Result will be viewed through online mode only.
- The result will be checked by entering date of birth & registration number.
GATE Score Card 2020
- After the evaluation of the answers, the actual marks secured by the applicant will be considered for computing the GATE score.
- For multi-session papers, raw marks secured by the applicants in different sessions will be converted to Normalized marks for that particular paper.
- Qualified applicants can download score card from 20th March 2020 to 31th May 2020.
- GATE 2020 Score card is valid for three years from the date of result declaration.
- If GATE qualified candidate requires the soft copy of their Scorecard after 31th May 2020 and till 31st December 2020, they have to pay a fee of Rs. 500 for obtaining the same.
GATE Cut Off 2020
- Applicants can check the GATE 2020 Cut Off through online mode.
- The cut off is the minimum marks which applicants have to secure in the examination for admission.
- GATE Cut Off will be released after the declaration of the result.
- Applicants can check last year cut off marks as per papers & categories:
|Papers||Categories wise Cut Off|
|Aerospace Engineering (AE)||33.5||30.2||22.3|
|Agricultural Engineering (AG)||28.3||25.5||18.9|
|Architecture and Planning (AR)||41||36.9||27.3|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||28.2||25.4||18.8|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||34.8||31.3||23.2|
|Computer Science and Information Technology (CS)||29.5||26.6||19.7|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)||26.7||26.7||17.8|
|Electrical Engineering (EE)||39.6||35.6||26.4|
|Ecology and Evolution (EY)||37.1||33.4||24.7|
|Geology and Geophysics (GG)||44.5||40.1||29.7|
|Instrumentation Engineering (IN)||31.9||28.7||21.3|
GATE Admission/Counselling 2020
- Applicants will have to apply separately for admission to IITs after result declaration.
- There will be no centralized counseling organize for admission IITs.
- The authority conducts centralized counselling only for M.Tech/M.Plan/M.Arch courses admission in NITs & centrally funded colleges.
- GATE 2020 counselling may begin in the month of April 2020.
- At the time of counseling, applicants can fill choices of colleges & courses as per their preferences.
- The seat will be allotted to the applicants on the basis of rank, filled choices, availability of seats, category, etc.
For any queries about GATE 2020, you can ask your comments in the comment box below.